Our client is a leading Central Government body seeking a SC or CTC cleared Commercial Manager for an initial 6 month contract based in Croydon
Role: Commercial Manager
Contract Length: 6 Months
Location: Metro Point, Croydon
IR35: In Scope
Security Clearance: CTC
CV Deadline: Thursday COP
Interview Process: Face to Face
• Develop and lead procurements for the HO, conforming to EU procurement law, HO and government policy and process.
• Produce procurement strategies by working collaboratively with Commercial teams and clients, developing a deep understanding of the supply market, category, and business context for both ongoing business and each specific procurement. Provide Commercial options and identify opportunities that provide solutions, risks/benefit and sustainability analysis, and comply with Government Digital Service Standards.
• Develop and maintain a deep understanding of Technology supply markets, proactively identifying opportunities that deliver value. Influence stakeholders at all levels, developing requirements that align best to suppliers and supply markets ability to deliver value. Ensure wider Government solutions/approaches (e.g. Crown Commercial Services) are used to best effect.
• Develop a strong and integral interface between clients and CD, encouraging better understanding and partnership working between parties. Manage and agree priorities, ensuring a current procurement pipeline is maintained.
• Manage and develop supply markets to meet current and future HO needs through long term procurement, ensuring individual strategies are created to access the right markets, and providing suppliers with the required client engagement.
• Deliver cashable savings and other financial/non-financial benefits against target.
• Provide expert commercial advice to peers and senior colleagues across HO, reflecting relevant legislation, policy, information, supply market knowledge, and commercial experience. Monitor emerging technology standards; commercial regulations and case law that has implications for HO.
• Be accountable for the selection and implementation of appropriate commercial models to achieve HO strategy and goals.
• Ensure Commercial risks are identified and managed throughout procurements, with ongoing risks transferred seamlessly into contract management.
• Lead negotiations of high value HO procurements and contracts, working collaboratively with contract management teams to ensure new contracts meet business needs, while incorporating learnings from past contract.
• Oversee competitions delivered by your team, ensuring accurate, comprehensive and transparent analysis is created, with recommendations for senior decision makers.
• Provide continuity through a planned transition from tendering/contract award to contract management, protecting commercial gains and knowledge, managing risk, and ensuring necessary resources and budgets are in place to manage contracts and maintain the expected value for money over contract terms.
• Ensure procurement strategies consider Purchase to Pay (P2P) policy and process to identify the most efficient and effective way to acquire goods and services.
• Work closely with the Senior Commercial Manager, monitor and improve procurement team efficiency by focusing on value adding work and staff utilisation.
• Actively contribute to the Commercial Directorate by identifying and implementing improvements to HO commercial processes, systems and skills.
• Undertake procurement work in other Commercial Directorate teams, or contract management work as required, to balance workload across the Directorate.
Management (where appropriate):
• Manage others directly or indirectly, assessing people’s skills and developing team capability via performance management, mentoring and coaching, in building an engaged and effective team.
• Lead by example and be a role model for the Commercial Directorate values and behaviours.
• Digital, Data and Technology: Scope of work includes management of contracts closely linked to major change programmes and projects, in accordance with HO Contract Management Manual and NAO/Cabinet Office principles and guidelines. Technical Knowledge Requirements include deep IT and Digital knowledge and experience of delivery within an Agile and Disaggregated environment.
Skills, Experience and Knowledge:
• Experience of managing large procurements for major supply contracts of complex goods and services, ideally IT/IS related. Public sector experience well regarded.
• Knowledge of EU procurement law, Government Accounting, CCS Framework Agreements, commercial best practice, and relevant category, supply market, pricing and commercial practices.
• Knowledge of the HMG ICT Policies and Best Practice and the specific CCS commercial arrangement designed to support them is well regarded.
• Commercially astute, able to negotiate best value for money agreements with suppliers, with knowledge of financial models and their application to procurement and contract management.
• Experience of maintaining procurement pipelines, managing competing demands for time and resources, and of monitoring/ managing projects against HO standards.
• Experience of developing business cases, presenting commercial options to business stakeholders and commercial cases to governance boards for approval.
• Relevant tertiary qualifications, and / or qualified in/working toward MCIPS.
• Travel around the UK may be required, including the London/Croydon offices.