Our client the DSTL//Programme & Delivery are seeking a Data Scientist for a 12 month Contract
- To develop and use our data infrastructure for analysis of business and security data.
- Day to day activities include collaborating with business analysts and stakeholders to understand how available data can be used to drive efficiency. Working with the user experience team to gain insight into user behaviour.
- Working with representatives from policy to understand how policy decisions are driving behaviour.
- Experience of: working with technical and business stakeholders, analysis and presentation.
- Data development life cycle, data management experience application of statistical modelling, trend identification, smoothing and regression, visualisation techniques using appropriate and managing automated and manual data workflows : job scheduling, resource management.
We require Data Scientists to apply their existing knowledge and skills across a range of project and programmes. Where they will be involved the application of new (internal and external) Data Science capabilities, in order to enhance analytical tools, techniques and insights in support of defence and security decision making. This will require:
• Working across virtual multidisciplinary teams across the organisation and potentially more widely.
• Working individually or collaboratively to tight deadlines.
• Keeping your knowledge and skills current in this rapidly developing field.
Main duties and responsibilities
Create impact through supporting strategic and operational decision-making.
• Build credible analytical tools from the data and using best practice coding to generate reproducible work.
• Apply relevant technical and analytical standards from across government and industry.
• Adhere to the Civil Service Data Science Ethical Framework (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/data-science-ethical-framework).
• Explore and visualise data to present its story in a meaningful way to technical and non-technical audiences.
• Lead work strands and other staff, including maintaining output focus and technical quality.
• Support project teams to understand where data science can add new value.
• Work with Industry and Academia by partnering with them to ensure that the tasks we place remain on track, are of high quality and receive the benefit of internal expertise.
• Autonomously guide and direct the work of others, through technical leadership, in order to ensure delivery of high impact science and technology.
• Provide rigorous review of process and outputs to ensure the robustness of the research delivered to customers.
• Inform across Government, including potentially briefing senior officials to ensure robust decision making within government.
Essential skills and experience
• Proficient with using Python (including use of NumPy, Pandas, Jupyter Notebook and Matplotlib) or R, preferably both to undertake data science.
• Knowledge and experience in either of the fields of text analytics (for example data cleaning, data mining and sentiment analysis) or machine learning (for example trend analysis, predictive analysis, supervised and un-supervised learning).
• Track record of using a range of data analysis tools and techniques (including open source).
• Track record of leading multidisciplinary teams, including review of process and outputs to ensure technical quality of work delivered to customers.
• The ability to work collaboratively.
• Familiarity with software engineering techniques including version control and testing.
• Working knowledge of mathematics and statistics.
Desirable skills and experience
• Proficient in using visualisation software such as Tableau, D3.js, or games engine technology e.g. Unity or Unreal.
• A good understanding of databases.
• Experience of briefing senior officials on insights gained from analysis.
• Track record of conducting quantitative analysis to underpin evidence base for decision makers.
• Experience of applying a holistic approach to problem structuring, requirements capture and definition.
• Use of agile approaches to delivery for example sprints.
We are looking for someone who has the following personal qualities:
• Great communication skills.
• An inquisitive mind.
• Enjoys problem solving.
• Results-oriented nature.
• Creativity.Quantitative degree e.g. mathematics, statistics, computer science or related technical subject.
Those with equivalent experience are also actively encouraged to apply
Please note that the client has determined that the off-payroll working rules will apply to this assignment and where a worker elects to provide their services through an intermediary (such as a personal services company) then income tax and primary national insurance contributions will be deducted at source from any payments made to the intermediary.