Our client is a leading Central Government body seeking a Senior Cloud Architect, they ideally are looking for Somebody who can act as an enterprise Architect having high level coversations with senior level executives and stakeholders whilst also knowing AWS Toolset to create low level design. They wont be coding themselves but need to have experience of Tooling/kubernetes/ AWS container etc
They require a strong Architect (AWS) who can produce high level design/strategy - worked on large & complex public sector projects specifically with AWS. Also needs the more technical know how around AWS tooling.
6 months duration
Up to £600 per day Ltd
Out of scope
Job Description : Senior Cloud Architect
The Defra DDTS Senior Cloud Architect reports to the Transformation Delivery Lead, within the Cloud Service Centre. The Cloud Service Centre is part of DDTS Group Infrastructure Operations.
The Senior Cloud Architect will deliver hands-on, business-oriented strategic and technical consulting to the Cloud Service Centre clients (usually DDTS projects) for cloud infrastructure, automation solutions and platform solution architecture.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
• You will join a service operations team and focus on adding hands-on technical expertise, ensuring outcomes meet the highest technical and agile standards.
• We expect you to understand the client project’s aims and to offer professional and commercial insight to ensure client satisfaction.
• You will act as an SME on the pan-Defra Cloud Ecosystem (currently focused on Microsoft Azure and AWS)
• Strong experience in a multi-disciplined team is critical as is your ability to clearly communicate complex technology solutions.
• You will be responsible for the production of high level and low level design documents and other technical project related artefacts.
• You will have a good understanding of a broad range of technologies.
• You will be able to converse easily with and translate between non-technical stakeholders and technical practitioners
Capability Description of capability Level of mastery What the level of mastery means
Bridging the gap between the technical and non-technical Translates technical concepts between software engineering, delivery management and service management so they are understood by all. Working Able to speak on behalf of technical teams and facilitate the relationships with indirect stakeholders.
Making and guiding decisions Capable of making and guiding effective decisions, explaining clearly how the decision has been reached. The ability to understand and resolve technical disputes across varying levels of complexity and risk. Working Able to make decisions characterised by managed levels of risk and complexity and recommend decisions as risk and complexity increase. Capable of resolving technical disputes between wider peers and indirect stakeholders, taking into account all views and opinions.
Turning business problems into technical design The ability to work with business and technology stakeholders to translate business problems into technical designs. Creates an optimal design through an iterative process, aligning the user need with the system requirements and organisational objectives. Working Designs systems characterised by managed levels of risk, manageable business and technical complexity and meaningful impact. Works with well-understood technology and identifies appropriate patterns.
Understanding the whole context The ability to look beyond the immediate technical problem and identify the wider implications. ‘Zooming out’ in three dimensions - knowing relevant historical context and future impact, understanding how current work fits in broader contexts and strategies, and looking for deeper underlying problems and opportunities. Working Able to understand trends and practices outside their team and how these will impact their work. Able to understand how their work fits into the broader strategy and historical context. Capable of considering the patterns and interactions on a larger scale.
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience in IT Infrastructure engineering including at least 2 years’ supporting cloud based infrastructure
• An understanding of Public/Private/Hybrid Cloud solutions and experienced in integrating public cloud into traditional hosting/delivery models.
• Extensive experience in conducting Cloud Readiness Assessments observing business and technical perspectives
• Experience in evaluating existing data centre and digital strategies
• Experience in conducting cloud service maps, TCO analysis, security considerations as part of a wider Cloud Adoption Framework
• Strong knowledge primarily of AWS. Supporting knowledge of Azure would be desirable.
• Demonstrable experience in architecting large scale cloud migration projects/programmes
• Demonstrate the ability to solve complex, multi-system problems
• Extensive experience in architecting enterprise public cloud solutions
• Be comfortable with being responsible for the delivery of significant cloud and automation projects.
• Experience of working in a close Agile / Scrum team
• Strong understanding of NCSC Cloud Security Principles and its practical implementations
• Have experience of stakeholder management within complex organisations
• Be a fast learner, ambitions, and comfortable working in high-pressure environments