Our client a leading central Government body is seeking a Technical Design Lead who comes from a Software development background (Minimum 5 years) and preferably has come from a Financial Services Background. The role is initially 6 months and is based in Glasgow, Scotlant.
Contract Length: 6 month initial
Pay Rate to Candidate: 530 per day
Security Clearance: BPSS
The Technical Design Lead will provide hands-on technical leadership for a cross-functional team of around thirty people delivering complex digital services.
There isn't any line management but Technical Lead will need to lead/mentor the Devs and support the Iteration Mangers manage the tech/dev team - support sizing and management of delivery of software development.
The system is a new, public facing web service and will have approximately 5 million users. The role carries broad responsibility across system architecture, software design, software implementation and team leadership.
The person filling this role will be the point person for the software developers within the team and will be a coach and mentor for software developers.
The role is technically focused and will require a person who has worked for several years as a developer in large teams and with proven experience as a technical Lead in such teams.
The technology stack is Java, Spring Boot, RabbitMQ and MongoDB with continuous deployment capability via GoCD.
The person filling this role will need to be proficient in these technologies or similar and be capable of and willing to carry out hands-on development in this stack to a high standard.
Time spent hands-on coding is expected to be minimal, however the role does require this capability.
The role brings responsibility for managing the scope, timely delivery and quality of output for the team and involves regularly interfacing with key stakeholders out with the team.
• Hands-on leadership of the software development team
• Identification of software skills and team structure needed in order to deliver project outcomes. Organisation of these delivery resources including capacity planning & assignment of suitable resources
• Ensure team processes and procedures are suitable to deliver project outcomes. Drive continuous improvement and best practices
• Provide hands-on coaching and mentoring in technical delivery and software.
• Design of software and underlying hardware and infrastructure to enable the system to meet functional and non-functional requirements. Responsible for the creation and implementation of the end to end technical designs and ensuring alignment to the strategic technical architecture and other internal and external systems.
• Overall system architecture is owned by a System Architect. The person holding the Technical Lead role will be expected to assess and provide feedback on proposed architectures and collaborate with the architecture team on alternatives.
• Creation of Technical Design Documentation and ensuring the team keep technical documentation up to date. Includes system infrastructure topology and software design documents.
• Analysis of business requirements including functional and non-functional requirements
• Prioritisation and breaking down of work into logical chunks and creating schedules for the project to best meet business needs.
• Engage with senior stakeholders and colleagues at all levels including in project review meetings with senior stakeholders
• Maintain strong working relationships with other Technical Design Leads, and Architecture Team to ensure consistency and coherence across projects and practices.
• Take part in 2nd-line support of applications and platforms, including occasional support outside of office hours
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
• Sufficient experience in software engineering and knowledge of best practices in relevant technology stacks to be able to act as the lead developer in a software development pair. This isn’t expected to be a regular activity, but this level of ability is needed.
• Sufficient software development capability to coach senior developers in software practices. Capability to teach software design and implementation via creation and review of software designs and through performing code reviews.
• Proven experience of hands on leadership of software teams of a similar size to successful project outcomes.
• In-depth, hands-on knowledge of Java, Spring Boot, RabbitMQ, MongoDB and git or similar technologies. Hands-on experience with Continuous Delivery tooling and practices.
• Strong stakeholder management capabilities
• Good coaching and mentoring skills
• Experience with Agile methodologies (TDD, SCRUM, Kanban, etc)